David's RV-10 Build

Just another RV-10 builders log

Month: August 2014

Rear spar Complete

Today I ran over to Home Depot and picked up some new Dewalt 20V Drills. I really did not want to buy any of the 20V stuff, but they stopped producing the one drill I needed in 18V. So I ended up getting the 20V 90d Angle Drill (tool only) and a combo kit that had a 1/4″ impact, drill/driver, 2 batteries, a charger and a bag. Once I got to the shop I immediately tested out the 90 degree drill and it did exactly what I needed it to do. I was able to drill out the conduit holes that I neglected to do earlier. This was followed up by tidying up the shop a little bit.

Next I grabbed the rear spars and mounted the doublers to them and began match drilling.  After match drilling one spar, I had to make a hole in one of the doublers match the spar. My solution was to use a unibit to take out a big chunk of the material and then dremel the rest out. With a cutting blade I cut out what i could. then i cut little notches to the edge. Next I used a dremel drum sander to smooth out the roughness.

next i mounted the spars to the ribs and matched drilled those

once that was completed I began disassembling and deburring, cleaning and priming. Once the primer was dry I cleco’d everything back together and began riveting.

Aileron Brackets Completed

Didn’t do much today as well either. I did prime and complete the brackets I started yesterday though. After buying 3 more cans of EZCoat and placing an order for 2 cases. I primed the parts from yesterday. Next I used a 7/16 , 9/16 sockets and my vice to press the bearings into place.

next I cleco’d the assemblies together and  began riveting. I started with the flush rivets first and then randomly did the regular rivets. This is to attempt to prevent warping of the entire assembly. They looked straight to me.

David's RV-10 Build © 2015