David's RV-10 Build

Just another RV-10 builders log

Category: 18) Fuel Tanks

Right Tank Assembly

Throughout the week I slowly poked around the airplane. Moved parts here, there. did some prep work on the new left tank. Friday I started installing the ribs. Saturday I really got into it. I got all the ribs done but end. I also made the return line stub for the fuel injection system.

Yes I know the tags are still on the parts, they will be removed before I seal the tank up.

On Sunday, I came in made and installed the vent line, fuel level sender, the end rib, as well as sealed up any rivets. While this was curing, I decided to start working on the new left tank by installing all the ribs and cutting the stiffeners. I quickly discovered that I ordered the wrong end ribs by the attach side. $18 later and the new ones should be here in a few days.

new left tank mostly assembled

Today I decided to put some water in the tank and see how I did. I did okay except for one small teeny tiny leak.

No big deal. I will fix it tomorrow after draining and it fixing some other rivets Im not quite happy with after the fact. Once thats done. I will seal it up!

Right tank assembly

This week I wrapped up any deburring that was left as well any dimpling that was required. I also drilled out the holes for my return line and custom fabbed a anti rotation plate out of some 1×1 angle. I cut the angle at the bend to make 2 pieces.

I decided to go a different route on the assembly this time. I back riveted all the stiffeners in place first. then the next time I worked on it I did the filler cap, the drain, and I all the parts on the inboard rib as well as the end rib. This method has made it a lot easier to make sure everything is sealed. I also don’t feel as rushed.

Since I had extra proseal made up I went ahead and finished the elevator trim tab that I started rebuilding months ago. I forgot to take any pictures after this.

Overdue Update

Post Edit: This is Post # 100!

I have long ignored this page. Part of the problem was lack of time, photos all over the place. I have conceded to doing one long post with the pictures I have found. Shortly before my trip the Dominican Republic (which was a war, 85 degrees the entire week), I began riveting the left fuel tank. I used a process that I saw on Vans Airforce. Which involves applying a thin layer of proseal to the part to be riveted. then cleco’ing it place and letting it sit for a day. I had hoped to finish it up prior to leaving, but rushing never leads to good results. I have quite a few rivets that need to come out and alot of proseal to clean up. I apparently took no photos since of this either as I cannot find any.

Since I got tired of cleaning proseal, I decided to work on the leading edges again. I had received my DuckWorks LED Landing Lights. Cutting the hole was extremely nerve racking, but looks pretty good. I bought chrome metallic spray paint to give it some reflective ability. Time will tell if this was worth it.

Next I began riveting the skins onto the ribs. This went by quite easier then the fuel tank did for some reason. (ignoring the proseal). I knocked those rivets out relatively quickly.

Next I proceeded with the lamp bracket. This was pretty straight forward. Cut the bracket per the instructions, Drill some holes & rivet.

Next I printed out some labels in MS Word by using a font size of 6. Cut them out and used clear heatshrink to hold them to the wires. This was far cheaper then some other really neat alternatives. I had found a label maker that could print directly to heat shrink, but the label maker was about $300 and the labels were $40 for 5 feet. Not really worth the cost.

Next I started working on the lens. This was a real pain in the butt in my opinion. I had it cut nicely and it fit well, but once I put it in place with the screws, I have a small gap. I will eventually come back and look at this in the future.

Next I had got some help and mounted the left wing onto the table and cleco’d the leading edge in place. Riveting here was pretty straight forward.

Next I had my dad help me put the wing back into its cradle. Its starting to really look like a wing now.

Next I decided to quickly swap out the bracket required for autopilot. That was a quick 30 second job

I believe I took about a week off due to work commitments, but then I started the right side leading edge landing lights.

I also picked up some #16 & 18 wire and ran the wire & a pull string for the landing lights on the left wing as well as the stall warning sensor. That was pretty easy.

Then once again I let everything sit for a while. I recently started deburring, scuffing, dimpling, and priming the right side leading edge parts. Once I finish dimpling the skin I will start riveting it together.

Tank Disassembly

Today I basically took apart the left tank. As each piece came off I deburred all the holes. I still have to dimple everything though and finish deburring the skin. I went ahead a little bit and worked on the tank attach bracket. Once I finish deburring and dimpling, I will start my first round of prosealing. Yayyy……..

here is the tank as it sits now, the skin is currently sitting on the trash can behind me. Bonus points to anyone who can figure out what movie im watching

David's RV-10 Build © 2015