David's RV-10 Build

Just another RV-10 builders log

Category: Workshop

Shop Upgrade

As I said in my last post, a drop cord would come in handy. This got the brain tinkering and I came up with a plan. Not only would I install a drop cord, but I ordered 2 Retractable Air Hose Reels from Amazon. After a quick run to home depot I grabbed a 25′ air hose, 30′ of 1/2″ EMT, and some 3/8″ black iron pipe and various other pieces I went to town. I already had the drop cord from previous adventures, and I have several thousand feet of wire in the warehouse, so I saved some cash there. Over the last few days I slowly installed a new electrical circuit to right above my work area. I also hung and  ran the feed hose for my new hose reels. I think this will be extremely helpful in the future.


More Tools!

Saturday I went to home depot & picked up a new belt sander / disc sander for some cheap $$$.  This of course meant I had to reorganize my power tool table.

I also picked up some metal blades for the band saw. I ended up having to return them due to the fact that homedepot.com lists the bandsaw with a 62″ blade, the box the band saw came in says 62″ blade. the owners manual says 59 1/2″ blade. The owners manual turned out to be correct. I also decided this week that since I had a desktop computer no one in the office was using that it would be moved into the shop. If you notice in the top corner of the picture you can see where I have my webcam mounted. I will be hosting Google Hangouts while I am doing any work on the build. Keep in mind I will be working on it whenever I have free time, so that could be right in the middle of the day or late at night. I also bought 2 chairs from Bed Bath & Beyond Expensive. They really were not to bad. I think they came out to about $70/after tax each.

Order updates:

YRC failed me yet again and couldn’t grasp the concept of a 2:00 PM pickup deadline. So instead of going out on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It got picked up on Monday. I have a anticipated arrival date of Monday the 9th. I also placed my main kit order with Isham’s PlaneTools.com. According to Isham my order should go out early next week. Hopefully sooner than later. I also placed an order for various things from Cleaveland Tools. After I placed my order, I realized I wanted to add some more clecos & shot them a email. Annette responded first thing Monday and said no problem my order should go out today or tomorrow. Well they got it out about 5 hours later and today UPS notified me that there would be a early than scheduled delivery. Jackpot! Unfortunately I will be gone for tomorrow and Friday doing work things.


I’ve spent the last few days with some of my guys cleaning up the warehouse and building some EAA 1000 workbenches. I ended up building 4 standard tables (60″ x 24″ x 34″) as well as 4 mini tables at  46″ x 24″ x 34″. I had to cut the legs down 1″ from the plans due to my inability to read at Lowes. I had grabbed 2″ x 4″ x 92.5″ instead of 2″ x 4″ x 96″ sticks. Which was fine as the table was getting raised 3″ due to the wheels I added.

I felt I should comment on this specifically. The pipes holding the filter unit & air pressure regulator are standard 3/8″ NPT  Brass pipes from Home Depot. I believe they are 4″ long. The way I have this mounted, you are not going to find anywhere unless you work in the Wireless Construction industry. I used 2 trapezoids (3-Way Stand-offs), 2 7/8″ Stackable Cable Snap-ins, and 2 5/8″ Cable Bushings. I had to modify the bushings due to the short distance of the pipe, as well as remove some additional rubber inside. If anyone would like to use these, just let me know and if I still have any, I will send them to you.

The good thing about all these tables being moveable is I can place this bench where ever I wish. I need to change out the blade to a metal blade still. I have been debating on getting a benchtop belt sander / wheel sander combo. I don’t think I need one though. Its hard to tell but I have all the power cables going through a hole in the center of the table to a power strip mounted underneath. Very handy for sure.

The machine on the right is soley for work use. It is fantastic if you strip a lot of wire. We stripped a 55 gallon barrel of wire in less than a day with wire sizes ranging from 4/0 to #12.

David's RV-10 Build © 2015