David's RV-10 Build

Just another RV-10 builders log

Category: 20) Bottom Wing Skins

Bottom Wing Skins

Bottom Wing Skins 3 / Ailerons Start

Today I came in finished priming the bottom wing skin parts that I had yet to finish. Didn’t have to spend much time here.

Next I decided to go ahead and start working on the ailerons since I have YET to finish the fuel tanks. Might as well keep chugging and keep the motivation train going. I probably spent a good hour here, just looking for parts that were 3 feet away from me. On top of my instruction book. It is amazing how easily things disappear when you look everywhere else. This first page went really quick, I was able to cut, debur, drill, counter sink, sand, & prime pretty quickly.

Once these parts were dry, I quickly riveted them together. I did have a hard time locating the nutplates. I searched through the parts list about 5 times, search on vansairforce to see if anyone else had them. Priced them out on aircraft spruce, and finally sat down to eat my pizza that got delivered and the part # jumped at me on the page that was open. They are in bag 1219 if you run across the same issue I did.

Next I began by cutting the aileron ribs. the ailerons only have 2 on each, one on each end. the rest are actually just stiffeners.

Next I dimpled all the holes I could as requested by the plans. I noticed here that the plan steps do not mentioning dimpling the #30 holes, but one of the figures calls for a 120* dimple. I ended up ordering #30 120* dimple set from Cleveland Aircraft tools. I was ready to call it a night when the plans said I could primer everything. so I cleaned everything up.

Bottom Wing Skins 2

Over the last couple weeks I drilled & deburred the skins. I also made the hole for the pitot tube and match drilled the stiffener to the skin. This week I worked on dimpling the skins and the ribs. I still have one wing worth of ribs to dimple, plus a couple of holes on the other that I couldn’t get with my squeezer. I haven’t taken any photos lately. Perhaps tomorrow.

Bottom Wing Skins

I’ve been slowly working on the aileron gap fairings over the last few days. Today I finished dimpling, primered and riveted them. It felt good to get this done as its been a while since I feel I accomplished something on this project. Even if it is a small thing.

after this I started working on the pitot mounting bracket. I bought this a while back and for some reason its been daunting to me. I think it has a lot to do with the install instructions. I ended up just looking at some photos and going from there. I did a piss poor job of photos today, but no big deal. I scribed some lines on the plate, placed it up on the spar, clamped in place and match drilled. I needed a piece of angle aluminum so this is about as far as I got with it. I ended up assembling the tube and priming it as well

Next I mounted the skins, and called it a night

Aileron Gap Fairings

Not much to write tonight. Started putting on the gap fairings. the W-1021 fairings went on fine. Due to the SB I did yesterday I had to trim the inboard side of the W-1024 fairings about an 1/8″. Cleco’d everything in place then got side tracked with work and flying tomorrow.

David's RV-10 Build © 2015